Church Missionary Society
Churchill Mission was established by the Church Missionary
Society (England) in the year 1886, for definite work amongst the
Eskimos on the Western shores of Hudson's Bay.
Through the kindness of Canadian friends, interested in our work
by Dr. Bell and the late Lieut. Gordon, the Mission was provided
with a small Mission house, timber for which was brought out
by the "Alert" when surveying the Bay in 1885. This was erected
almost entirely by the Missionary in charge.
Since that time we have been enabled to import from England,
and erect, an iron Church 50 X 25 feet, with seats for about 200
people, at a cost of over £500, freight from England alone being
nearly £150. This building is now divided and part used as
day & Sunday School.
At Churchill we have a resident population of 50 souls nearly all of
whom are half breeds, speaking the English language, all these,
over 7 years, read and write fairly well, tho' when the Mission
was begun hardly one could do so
In our day school, taught regularly by both the Missionary and
his wife, we have an average of 21 children, from 4 to 12 years